HOW TO SET UP FACEBOOK MARKETPLACE
How to get the Marketplace icon on Facebook?
On Facebook Website: Click on the Marketplace link on the main menu on the upper left side of the screen.
On Facebook App: Tap the icon that looks like three horizontal lines to open the secondary menu and then tap on Marketplace. If you can’t see the link, it may be hidden under the ‘See More’ button.
Buying on Marketplace:
To buy something on Marketplace, you can send a message to the seller to arrange a sale:
- From your News Feed, click on theMarketplace icon.
- Click on an item you want to buy.
- You can message the seller in 2 ways:
- Click ’Message’to send a custom message to the seller.
- Click ’Send’to send a message that says “Is this available?”
Here are some tips for buying items on Marketplace:
- Please be patient. Sellers receive many messages and may need time to reply.
- Before meeting the seller, make sure that you know the condition of the item. Both of you should also agree on the price of the item and the exact location of your meeting place.
- When you meet the seller, look over the item and make sure it’s what you want before paying.
- If you can’t meet the seller at the time you both agreed on, message them and try to reschedule another time.
Selling on Marketplace:
To sell an item on Marketplace:
- From your News Feed, click onMarketplace.
- Click on ‘Create New Listing’, then click on’Item for Sale’.
- Click on ‘Add Photos’to upload a photo of your item.
- Enter a title, the price, and your location, and select a category (example: Furniture, Baby & Kids). You can also add a description. To mark an item as Free, you can enter 0 as the price.
- Click Next. If the ‘Next’ buttonis grey, make sure you’ve included a category, title, price, location, and photo.
- Click on ‘Publish’to post your Marketplace listing.
To sell an item on Marketplace:
- From your News Feed, click on Marketplace.
- Click on ‘Sell Something’, then click on Item for Sale.
- Select a category (Ex: Furniture, Baby & Kids), and enter a title for your listing, price, and your location. You can also add a description. To mark an item as Free, you can enter 0 as the price.
- Click on ‘+ 10 Photos’to upload a photo of your item from your computer.
- Click Next. If the’Next’ button is grey, make sure you’ve included a category, title, price, location, and photo.
- Select where you’d like to post your listing. If you only want to post on the Marketplace, click Clear.
- Click ’Publish’to post your Marketplace listing.
Here are some tips for selling items on Marketplace:
- Use a photo that clearly shows the item and its condition. If possible, include multiple and original photos of the item rather than a photo from a company website.
- Add a detailed description of the item and its condition. Be sure to describe any stains or tears.
- If you’re selling used clothing or shoes, make sure they’re as clean as possible.
- If you’re selling personal hygiene items, these items should be brand-new and sealed in the original
- Before meeting the buyer, make sure you both agree on the price of the item and the exact location of your meeting place.
- Have the buyer look over the item and make sure it’s what they want before you accept payment.
- If you can’t meet the buyer at the time you both agreed on, message them to reschedule another time.
What can’t be sold in Marketplace:
All items for sale on Facebook has to follow Facebook’s Commerce Policies. The Commerce Policies apply to:
- Facebook Marketplace
- Buy and sell groups
- Product pages
- Instagram stores
Here are some common examples of things that can’t be sold on Facebook:
- Not a real item: Anything that isn’t a physical product for sale. For example, posts such as: ‘In search of’ a specific item, lost-and-found, jokes, and news.
- Services or event tickets: You can only sell a service (Ex: house cleaning) or event tickets on Marketplace with Facebook’s written permission.
- Description and photo don’t match:The photos of the item must match the description and title of the listing.
- Animal for sale: Selling animals isn’t allowed on Marketplace or buy and sell groups. This includes posting about animals for adoption.
- Healthcare: Healthcare-related items aren’t allowed (Ex: thermometers, first aid kits).
- Before and after images: Items for sale on Facebook are not allowed to display a before-and-after image (Ex: a photo showing weight loss).
Why can’t I get Marketplace on Facebook?
- If you currently don’t have Facebook Marketplaceafter logging in, there are several things you can try to get it to appear.
- Log out of the Facebookwebsite or app and log in again.
- Uninstall and reinstall the Facebook
- Change your home country to one of the 50 countries supported by Facebook Marketplace.
- Marketplaceis only available to Facebook users who are 18 years and older.